Troubleshooting Team Foundation Server 2008 Installation
I started out with a clean Windows Server 2008 installation in a Virtual PC. I called the server Server2008 and added an entry in my Windows hosts file in order to connect to this new machine. I then installed SQL Server 2008 following the instructions in the TFS installation guide.
Next I slipstreamed SP1 into the main installation files (explained in the installation guide) and installed TFS. After a while the installation completed successfully. However, no matter what I tried, I couldn't connect to it from my client installation of Visual Studio 2008. I searched Google and literally read hundreds of articles and posts on TFS, but all to no avail. No matter what I tried, I kept getting errors like these:
TF30171: The Microsoft.ProjectCreationWizard.Reporting plug-in used to create the new team project could not be initialized and returned the following error: TF30224: Failed to retrieve projects from the report server.
It seemed like a problem related to Reporting Server, so I looked into its setup and security configuration. But no matter what I tried, I couldn't make it work. Finally, I found an article suggesting to reinstall Service Pack 1 for VS 2008. I had installed VS 2008 and SP1 long before I installed Team Explorer, so Team Explorer was still at the RTM level. Reapplying Service Pack 1 did the trick, and I could connect to my TFS server successfully!
I could have left it like that, but I wanted to redo everything again to make sure I got all the right steps. While searching for a fix, I had made a lot of configuration changes, so I wasn't sure what I changed, and what the effect of the changes on my TFS installation was.
I created a new VPC, installed a fresh copy of Windows Server 2008 and called the server Server2008VPC. I then installed SQL Server 2008 again, followed by the SP1 installation of Team Foundation Server.
After a reboot, I was expecting everything to work fine. But, again, I couldn't connect. Now I got this pretty generic error:
So, once again, I tried lots and lots of different things. Changing user accounts, permissions, adding the necessary accounts to the Reporting and Sharepoint Services site and so on. Finally, I disabled the firewall on the VPC server and voila: instant access. Heuh? I thought that the installation procedure added the required exceptions to the firewall if it's up and running and set to allow exceptions (both of which are the case on a clean Windows Server 2008 install). So why doesn't it work with the firewall on?
Getting slightly desperate, I tried to find out what port was being blocked by the firewall. In order to see the traffic going to the VPC, I used my favorite HTTP debugging tool Fiddler and found this:
Fiddler: DNS Lookup for Server2008VPC failed.
Heuh? It could find it with the firewall turned off.... Why can't it find it now? Then I remembered that on my first installation I added the server name to my Windows hosts file in order to map it to its (fixed) IP address. So I added Server2008VPC and its IP address to my hosts file, and everything worked fine from there..... Still strange that it could correctly find the server with the firewall turned off
Whew; quite an experience. But well worth the trouble now that everything is up and running....
So, now that I *think* I have it all under control, I'll once more redo the entire installation process, starting with a clean Windows install. Hopefully I can install without a problem now.
Where to Next?
Wonder where to go next? You can post a comment on this article.
Links in this Document
|Written by||Imar Spaanjaars|
|Date Posted||10/26/2008 14:57|
Talk Back! Comment on Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
I am interested in what you have to say about this article. Feel free to post any comments, remarks or questions you may have about this article. The Talk Back feature is not meant for technical questions that are not directly related to this article. So, a post like "Hey, can you tell me how I can upload files to a MySQL database in PHP?" is likely to be removed. Also spam and unrealistic job offers will be deleted immediately.
When you post a comment, you have to provide your name and the comment. Your e-mail address is optional and you only need to provide it if you want me to contact you. It will not be displayed along with your comment. I got sick and tired of the comment spam I was receiving, so I have protected this page with a simple calculation exercise. This means that if you want to leave a comment, you'll need to complete the calculation before you hit the Post Comment button.
If you want to object to a comment made by another visitor, be sure to contact me and I'll look into it ASAP. Don't forget to mention the page link, or the Doc ID of the document.
Please correct the following errors:
Unfortunately, something went wrong and your message or comments have not been submitted successfully.
There's a fair chance things broke down because you tried to post something that looks like HTML. Things that look like HTML include (X)HTML, obviously, XML, ASP.NET markup and c# generics syntax as all of them use the < and > characters.
If that's the case, try altering your message and remove anything that looks like an angled bracket. You can replace them with [ and ] for example so you can still make it look like HTML to some extend.
If, on the other hand, you were trying to spam this web site, I am pretty glad I caught you in the act and stopped you from doing so ;-)
Also, please don't use links in your posts; I had to block them to filter out most of the junk mail I am receiving.